Sunday, January 20, 2013

So Many Pictures!

This past week I had the wonderful opportunity to take part in an interactive presentation by Darren Kuropatwa and Andy McKiel. This presentation enabled my peers and I to use images in a powerful and meaningful way (without using copyright material)!

With an overwhelming abundance of information and images floating on the internet it is easy to stumble across copyright material. I believe it is important for educators to teach our students how to properly site information and legally use images.

Darren and Andy suggested using compfight.com. This website provides its users with an option called creative commons. By choosing creative commons the website will filter the image search and only provide images that are legal to use.

After exploring compfight.com each student was asked to find an image that represented what they believe most matters in education. After finding an image we used pixlr.com to add text and site the image source. Each person in the classroom shared their image in a slide show and had a chance to briefly talk about it.

This activity was not only inspirational but effective. It provided each student with the opportunity to be creative and expressive. I believe it is important for students to freely express themselves in the classroom. This would be a great way to get feedback and compile ideas. It would provide students with the chance to have a voice and opinion.

In a music classroom I might have students find an image that represents how a specific song makes them feel or what it makes them think about. I would then have them write a few words on the image expressing more precisely their thoughts and have an open sharing time with the class. This would address the part of the curriculum called "Valuing Musical Expression".

Overall I love the power of images and believe that we must respect copyright laws in the process of using shared images! I'm excited to see how these two very useful websites can be used in my classroom!

Below is the image I created in the mentioned workshop:





No comments:

Post a Comment